Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Leggings do not equal pants. End of Story.

This wasn't my intended topic for this post, but after seeing countless girls in our cafeteria today who were guilty of the "leggings as pants" atrocity, I felt compelled to rant. Let's get one thing straight ladies: leggings were not created as a stand alone option for leg-wear. The are meant to be worn under pants for added warmth, under a dress, or underneath a long and slouchy T-shirt that covers the rear end. It is also acceptable to wear them to the gym for exercising or athletic purposes. They are not ever, under any circumstances supposed to serve as a substitute for pants. I don't understand how a someone can put on a too-tight shirt or sweater, leggings, and Uggs then look in the mirror and say: I look good! If it's cold enough to wear leggings, then you need more than a thin layer of cotton and/or lycra over those legs!
I will admit, leggings are extremely comfortable and hard to resist. But so are pajamas, and we don't wear those in public not do we? Well some do, but that's another story for another time. :) If you'll check the link list, you'll find a link to a fabulous pair of jeans. For those of you who've forgotten what they look like ;)


And please don't get me started on the shiny black plastic ones that are supposed to look like leather pants! I've not yet decided what to make of the "jegging" which is a leggings/jeans combo platter. I might be ok with those. Okay, I'll climb down from my soapbox now...
But please do remember ladies, next time you fee the urge to leave you house (or dorm) in just leggings: throw a dress on over them, or swap them for a pair of jeans. Then you'll be golden :)

No comments:

Post a Comment